Portions: 4 servings
If you’re new to Instant Pot cooking, or pressure cooking in general, this fool-proof Instant Pot white recipe is a must-try! You will learn how to cook perfect rice in the easiest and fastest way, my preferred rice-to-water ratio for perfect rice every time.
By- Last revised . Published Apr 8, 2023.
Instant Pot white rice.
Why I ❤️ it
White rice or arroz blanco is a staple in my country's cuisine and one of the dishes that we serve several times a week. Our favorite way of making rice is cooking rice in a Dutch oven, which produces a crispy layer of rice we absolutely adore.
But when I am short of time, this is my go-to rice recipe, and I love that it produces the flavor and fluffy, firm, but tender texture that my people love.
Instant Pot white rice recipe
This free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, and I receive a small commission when you purchase, at no cost to you. Thank you!
Utensils and tools
- Instant Pot cooker
Before you start, make sure you have all the ingredients and utensils ready.
Step 1: Combine
In the Instant Pot, combine rice, 2 cups of water, salt, and half the butter.
Stir and spread the rice into an even layer.
Step 2: Cook rice
Close the lid of the Instant Pot and set the valve to SEALING. Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for one minute.
When the timer stops, leave it undisturbed with the valve still on SEALING until the pot has released all the pressure (around 15 minutes).
Step 3: Fluff rice
Open the lid and add the remaining butter, mix it in, and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve.
What is the ratio of water to rice in an Instant Pot?
In the Instant Pot pressure cooker, my preferred ratio is 1:1:1, meaning one cup of rice, one cup of water, and one teaspoon of salt.
This is enough for two servings, so adjust the quantities to the number of portions you need.
- I do not typically rinse rice, as it would eliminate its scant nutrition; I only rinse rice if I am unsure of its quality or provenance, which doesn't happen nowadays.
- If you still wish to rinse the rice to eliminate some excess starch, run cold water through the rice in a fine mesh strainer, and shake to eliminate as much water as possible as fast as possible.
- While this recipe is made with long-grain rice (Carolina), it also works with jasmine rice and basmati rice.
- You can use the same amount of olive oil or your preferred oil instead of butter.
- For a flavorful rice pillaf, you can use the same amount of chicken or vegetable broth instead of water. If the broth is salted, do not add salt.
- You can store leftover rice in the freezer or refrigerator in an airtight container. My preferred method of reheating rice is adding two tablespoons of water and reheating it covered in the microwave for one and a half or two minutes.
Oh, rice, what isn't it good for? Let's see...
Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 804mg | Potassium: 72mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0.1g | Vitamin A: 83IU | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg
How much water do I need for 2 cups of rice?
To cook two cups of rice in the Instant Pot you'll need two cups of water and 2 teaspoons of salt. To cook on the stovetop, you'll need 3 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of salt. Check your rice cooker manual for exact measurements.
How long do you cook 1 cup of rice in an Instant Pot?
The cooking time varies depending on how you measure it: the actual cooking time is one minute, but it takes about 5 minutes for the pot to build up pressure and about 15 minutes for natural pressure release afterward (do not use quick pressure release). About 21 minutes in total.
This is just a printer-friendly summary; some useful details are found in the recipe above.
Instant Pot Rice Recipe
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons butter divided
- In the Instant Pot, combine rice, 2 cups of water, salt, and half the butter.Stir and spread the rice into an even layer.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and set the valve to SEALING. Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for one minute.When the timer stops, leave it undisturbed with the valve still on SEALING until the pot has released all the pressure (around 15 minutes).
- Open the lid and add the remaining butter, mix it in, and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve.