Portions: 4 portions
Don't make dinner more complicated than it needs to be; this mildly spicy cabbage and ground beef one-pot dinner recipe is an effortless, quick, and comforting dish. This cabbage stir fry recipe is gluten-free and keto-friendly.
One-pot cabbage and ground beef dinner.
Why I ❤️ it
shamelessly stolen borrowed this ground beef and cabbage dish from my mother-in-law, whom I have praised many times in this blog for her talent as a home cook (among her other skills).
This dish has become a family classic in her home, and now in mine, and one of my go-to easy dinner ideas.
One-pot cabbage and ground beef recipe
This free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, and I receive a small commission when you purchase, at no cost to you. Thank you!
- 60 ml of olive oil, [4 tbsp]
- 453 grams of lean ground beef, [1 lb]
- 1 tablespoon of salt (or more, to taste - divided)
- 1 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper or more, to taste - divided)
- 300 grams of chopped or sliced red onion [2 large onions]
- 400 grams of carrot, grated [1 large carrot]
- 453 grams of cabbage, shredded [¼ head of cabbage]
- 4 tablespoons of curry powder (or more, to taste- divided)
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)
Before you start, make sure you have all the ingredients and utensils ready.
Step 1: Season meat
Season the minced meat with a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
Step 2: Brown meat
Heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in meat and cook until all the liquid has evaporated.
In the meantime, break the clumps of meat with a spoon. Brown meat once the liquid has evaporated.
Step 3: Add vegetables
Stir in the chopped onion and carrot, and cook stirring until the onions have become translucent. Stir in the cabbage. Season with half the curry powder, and stir. Simmer until the cabbage has wilted a bit, but it still has some crunch.
Taste and season with salt, pepper, and curry to taste; stir. Remove from the heat.
Step 4: Serve
Garnish the cabbage and beef mixture with herbs of your choice (optional), and serve hot.
- "Curry powder" has a very loose definition, with each brand/vendor having their own mix, and level of spiciness. I have tried it now with at least three different curry powders, and each one tastes different. The one I bought from the local supermarket was markedly milder and required 4 tablespoons! to get the flavor I liked.
- So keep that in mind, and start with a small amount and add until you find the flavor you like.
- The cabbage should be a little wilted but not mushy. It should be "al dente," so keep an eye on it and don't let it overcook.
- Do not add carrots for a keto or low-carb version; the carbohydrates will be reduced to 16g per serving.
In our family, this is a one-pot meal; we don't serve anything else with it, but if you prefer, you could serve it with white rice.
Store leftovers in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to two days. Even if you only have a small bowl leftover, save it, and you can add it to some soup for extra veggies and flavor.
You can also make this cabbage stir fry with Italian sausage with the skin removed.
Ground turkey or chicken can also work quite well. Add a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce to amp up the flavor. You can also sprinkle it with some red pepper flakes to make it a bit spicy.
Calories: 539kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 1916mg | Potassium: 1020mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 16876IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 145mg | Iron: 5mg
How many calories are in ground beef and cabbage?
This one-pot ground beef and cabbage dinner contain 539kcal.
How many carbs are in a beef and cabbage?
This beef and cabbage dish contains 27g.
This is just a printer-friendly summary; some useful details are found in the recipe above.
Cabbage and Ground Beef |Recipe+Video| One Pot
- 60 ml olive oil [4 tbsp]
- 453 grams minced beef [1 lb]
- 1 tablespoon salt (or more, to taste - divided)
- 1 teaspoon pepper freshly-cracked, or ground, (or more, to taste - divided)
- 300 grams red onion [2 large onions] sliced or chopped
- 400 grams carrot grated [1 large carrot]
- 453 grams cabbage shredded [¼ head of cabbage]
- 4 tablespoon curry powder (or more, to taste- divided)
- Herbs for garnish (optional)
- Season the minced meat with a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in meat and cook until all the liquid has evaporated, in the meantime break the clumps of meat with a spoon. Brown meat once the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the onion and carrot, cook stirring until the onions have become translucent. Stir in the cabbage. Season with half the curry powder, stir. Simmer until the cabbage has wilted a bit, but it still has some crunch.Taste and season with salt, pepper or curry to your taste, stir. Remove from the heat.
- Garnish with herbs of your choice (optional), and serve hot.