Portions: 4 servings
I'm excited to share a delicious sauce for cordon bleu chicken. The rich flavor of this creamy mushroom sauce is the perfect way to serve this classic chicken breast rolled around swiss cheese and slices of ham, coated with golden, crispy breadcrumbs. It is absolutely mouth-watering.
By- Last revised . Published .
Chicken cordon bleu sauce recipe.
Why I ❤️ it
Are you wondering what sauce goes with chicken cordon bleu? You've come to the right place because this lovely mushroom white sauce is the perfect choice.
Try out this delicious cordon bleu mushroom sauce recipe. It's perfect for a special occasion or just a cozy night in. So let's get cooking! Let me know in the comments how it turns out for you!
Sauce for cordon bleu chicken recipe
This free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, and I receive a small commission when you purchase, at no cost to you. Thank you!
Utensils and tools
Before you start, make sure you have all the ingredients and utensils ready.
Step 1: Cook onions
In the saucepan or pan, heat butter over very medium heat.
Add the onions and cook covered until they turn translucent (about 5 minutes); occasionally stir to cook evenly.
Step 2: Simmer
Add the mushroom and simmer covered until they are cooked through (about 5 minutes). Sprinkle the flour and whisk to combine well. Add the wine and stir until the mixture thickens to your preferred consistency (bear in mind it thickens more as it cools).
Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve
- For a non-alcoholic version, you can use chicken broth instead of white wine.
- For a gluten-free version, dissolve a teaspoon of cornstarch in some broth or the wine and use it instead of flour to thicken.
This mushroom gravy for chicken cordon bleu goes perfectly with any chicken dish but is particularly good with my easy chicken cordon bleu recipe.
I love serving French blue ribbon chicken with creamy mashed potatoes and sauteed carrots. Another quick side dish is steamed broccoli or cauliflower drizzled with some butter and sprinkled with garlic salt and grated parmesan.
Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 238mg | Potassium: 460mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 117IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg
Can you use hollandaise sauce for chicken cordon bleu?
Yes, hollandaise sauce is another classic choice to serve with chicken cordon bleu.
This is just a printer-friendly summary; some useful details are found in the recipe above.
Sauce for Cordon Bleu Chicken
- 1½ pound Portobello mushrooms rinsed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter (salted)
- 1 white onion (large), diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (freshly-cracked, or ground), (or more, to taste)
- In the saucepan or pan, heat butter over very medium heat.Add the onions and cook covered until they turn translucent (about 5 minutes); stir occasionally to cook evenly.
- Add the mushroom and simmer covered until they are cooked through (about 5 minutes). Sprinkle the flour and whisk to combine well. Add the wine and stir until the mixture thickens to your preferred consistency (bear in mind it thickens more as it cools).Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve