Portions: 4 servings
Why I ❤️ it
A great advantage of this cheesy potato casserole with crispy bacon and tender vegetables is that you can leave it half prepared in a baking dish and just broil right before serving to melt the cheese to bubbly, golden perfection.
The veggies keep very well for a couple of hours, even overnight, if covered with aluminum foil and refrigerated. This is perfect for Thanksgiving, holiday meals, brunch, cookouts, and potlucks.
Bacon potato casserole recipe
This free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, and I receive a small commission when you purchase, at no cost to you. Thank you!
Utensils and tools
- ¼ pound [0.17 kg] bacon, minced, about ½ cup
- 4 pork sausage, or turkey sausage, diced
- 2 large carrot, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound [0.68 kg] potato Yukon gold, or Russet potatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese mix
- ¼ cup chives, or green onions, sliced
Before you start, make sure you have all the ingredients and utensils ready.
Step 1: Cook bacon
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring until the edges of the bacon have browned and it has released some of its fat.
Add the sausage and cook, stirring until it has lightly browned. You can drain the excess fat if you wish, different kinds of bacon have different amounts of fat, but you'll need some to cook the carrots and potatoes.
Step 2: Sautéeing vegetables
Stir in the carrot and potato and cook stirring until they have heated through. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir and cook covered for another 5 minutes.
Add onion and pepper to the potato and carrot mixture, and cook stirring until they have heated through. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
Season with salt to taste and remove the pan from the heat
Step 3: Broil
Layer the vegetable and potato mixture on the bottom of the baking dish. Cover it with cheese.
Broil until the cheese has melted and is bubbly with some golden brown spots. Remove from the oven.
Step 4: Serving
Sprinkle with the chives and serve hot.
- This casserole can be made some time in advance and broil right before serving.
- This dish serves 4 portions, of about 4 cups of vegetables each. Double the ingredients to serve larger or more servings.
- If you want stronger flavors, add a few whole garlic cloves along with the onion. The garlic cloves will turn a milder flavor and pass it on to the other ingredients. For a milder garlic flavor, add half a tablespoon of garlic powder with the salt instead.
Fork-tender but firm vegetables, robust flavors, and loads of melted cheese... no fuss. I make this dish as a standalone meal (with some leafy salad) or as a side dish for bigger meals. Who can resist that?
You can optionally serve it alongside a small bowl of sour cream to top with.
This is a very flexible and versatile dish. These are other versions I've tried, so you have other options to try: You can substitute potatoes for arracacha (cepa de apio, celeriac) or use sweet potato for an amazing sweet potato casserole.
Add some parmesan cheese along with the cheddar and mozzarella mix for a crispier crust with a more robust flavor. Optionally, you can use only shredded cheddar cheese if you don't have the cheddar and mozzarella mix.
You can add more vegetables if you wish; green beans, cauliflower (chopped florets), and broccoli (chopped florets) go great with it.
Calories: 889kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 73g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 30g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 153mg | Sodium: 1927mg | Potassium: 1007mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 6648IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 351mg | Iron: 3mg
How do you freeze a breakfast casserole?
You can freeze the casserole dish in an airtight oven-safe container. Thaw overnight in the fridge, and broil to reheat it. You may want to add additional cheese before reheating it.
What pairs well with potato bake?
Potato bakes go great with grilled steaks and pork. You can also serve it alongside your favorite grilled sausages, or burger steaks.
This is just a printer-friendly summary; some useful details are found in the recipe above.
Bacon and Potato Casserole |Recipe + Video| Cheese, Carrot
- ¼ pound bacon , minced
- 4 pork sausage , or turkey sausage, diced
- 2 carrot (large)
- 1 pound potato Yukon gold, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 white onion (large), diced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 1½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1½ cup Cheddar and Mozzarella Mix , grated
- ¼ cup chives , sliced
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the bacon. Cook stirring until the edges of the bacon have browned, and it has released some of its fat.Add the sausage and cook stirring until it has lightly browned.
- Stir in the carrot and potato and cook stirring until they have heated through. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir and cook covered for another 5 minutes.Add onion and pepper to the potato and carrot mixture, and cook stirring until they have heated through. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.Season with salt to taste and remove the pan from the heat
- Layer the mixture on the bottom of the baking dish. Layer with cheese.Broil until the cheese had melted and is bubbly with some golden brown spots. Remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle with the chives and serve hot.